Sunday, February 26, 2006

High Rental Value

Usually when I'm talking about films on the blog, they're films I've seen in theaters. But now, I think it's necessary that I start talking about the films I see on DVD, as well. Some very good movies were released this week, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them just as much as I did!

Rent 4/5
I was really looking forward to seeing this one in theaters, but sadly I never got to check it out. Big mistake. I'm usually not one for musicals, but Rent is really a fantastic film, concerning eight bohemians trying to make the best of things in New York's gritty East Village, where both poverty and AIDS are on the rise. There are tons of great songs in this film like "Seasons of Love" and "La Vie Boheme," but the singing does grow a bit tiring by the end. Still, this is an excellent movie and well worth a rental.

The Weather Man 4/5
Once again, Nicolas Cage turns in a fantastic performance in The Weather Man, the new film from Gore Verbinski. This one falls into the same category of American Beauty and About Schmidt, with Cage playing a Chicago weatherman whose relationship with his ex-wife and kids is falling apart. Steve Conrad's script is fantastic and very well-written, making for a very good film. Michael Caine also turns in a great performance as Cage's father. I highly recommend this one, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home