Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Curious George **½

Curious George
Directed by Matthew O'Callaghan. Starring Will Ferrell, Frank Welker, Drew Barrymore, Dick Van Dyke, and David Cross. Rated G.

During cinema's golden age, hand-drawn animation filled the multiplexes, but nowadays it's been made obsolete by the fantastic-looking computer-generated animation being produced. Curious George, a new animated film, uses the old style and proves that it still works. Based on the popular children's books, the film follows the adventures of a mischievous little monkey and his owner, a museum worker called Ted who wears a yellow suit. The museum Ted works for is floundering and, in a last attempt to save it, he volunteers to visit Africa to retrieve the Lost Shrine of Zagawa, which proves to be nothing more than a four-inch trinket. Discouraged, he must return to America...but with a curious monkey named George in cargo! This is a great film for children, and I think adults will enjoy it as well. Scenes featuring George loose in the big city are the best parts, and everyone is sure to get a kick out of it. Overall, this is a clever, sweet film and well worth a watch.

4 Comments:

At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked it, Will. I thought that the trailers were terrible, but I was surprised that at how sweet and happy and kinda clever it was. I was also really surprised that the majority of critics seemed to agree with me!

A fun film that should've fared better at the box office than it did.

I did NOT like the Eugene Levy bits, though. Though the robot puppy was pretty cute.

 
At 10:57 PM , Blogger W. said...

Levy's character was annoying! I'm glad he wasn't given much screen time.

One critic that does not agree with me and you and every other critic we know is Roeper! Did you hear his review??

 
At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I saw that on Rotten Tomatoes he said something along the lines of, "I couldn't recommend the movie to someone my age or even 20 years old."

What else did he say?

 
At 11:04 PM , Blogger W. said...

That was pretty much the gist of it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home